As a former teacher, I spent a lot of time encouraging families to read over the summer even if just for 20 minutes a day over the summer. There are so many really amazing and FREE programs out there that help make reading accessible. Public libraries are a great place to start also some bookstores do fun reading programs as well. Here are the reading programs happening in and around Seattle. Happy Reading!
King County Library
- Starts June 1st and ends August 31st
- Head to your local library to get all the documents you need to sign your petites and yourself up
- Or you can download and print all documents from home and get started reading right away
- Printable Reading Log for Preschoolers
- Printable Reading Log for school age children
- Click this link to sign yourself up for the adult program and once you complete the summer reading challenge your name will be entered to win a $200 visa gift card! Amazing, right?
Seattle Public Library
- Starts June 27
- Get your free Explorer’s Handbook filled with fun activities
- Place your name on the Wall of Astounding Explorers by:
- Completing 5 activities in the Explorer’s Handbook
- Reading 30 or more days over the summer
- Solving the Super, Secret Mystery Challenge
- Attend free programs (one-offs and series) all summer long
- Some programs will require pre-registration. Registration will open 2 weeks before the start of each workshop or series.
Barnes and Noble
Summer Reading Triathlon starts this weekend at all Barnes and Nobles’ nationwide.
- Saturday June 4th at 11
- The Opening Ceremony will feature such engaging activities as puzzles, code breaking, and other fun inspired by Chris Grabenstein’s Mr. Lemoncello series
- along with giveaways (including stickers and bookmarks) based on beloved children’s books, while supplies last.
- Pick up your reading journal
- Read three books over the summer and earn a book from B&N for grades one – six
- Here is the link for more information
- ends on August 27th
- Its already started and goes through August
- Pre -K to Grade 8
- Get started by picking up your Summer Explorers reading log at our U District, Bellevue, Mill Creek, or Tacomastore.
- Stock up on summer reading with a coupon for 20% off your next kids books purchase.
- After you read five books, bring your reading log back in to pick out a fun prize.
- Read ten books and bring your completed reading log back to get a FREE book, cool button, and a coupon for $5 off your next kids books purchase.
- Share your favorite books with others by writing your own reviews in your log or on our Young Readers’ Review cards.